Tuesday, February 19, 2013

DIY Disney Pressed Penny Coin Purse

This could be my favorite DIY yet. I'll admit, I'm a big fan of the pressed penny machines. I save my pennies and quarters all year long. I love having something to do with the littles while the thrill seekers find their thrills. I've tried a couple different ways of carrying coins into the parks, but they are heavy and awkward in a bag. When I ran across these awesome iconic Mickey coin purse frames, I knew I had my solution!

First things first (because I know many of you will need to know): I ordered these purse frames from Etsy; they came all the way from Hong Kong. If you want to find your own, try looking at this shop. Just realize that shipping will take a while to get here, so plan accordingly. I may have squealed just a little at the post office when I went to pick them up. They really are so adorable!

This is also a great way to use up fabric scraps. I found another shop on Etsy selling crazy cute Japanese fabric themed with Disney; if you're interested, simply search for it in the supplies category. You'll have plenty of choices.

To make these I used this wonderful Purl Bee tutorial, as well as this tutorial, to create my own pattern. They were both very instructive. I would recommend making at least one practice purse before using your favorite fabric. There is a small learning curve. The frames I purchased had holes for sewing; I like the look of them better. So I did not use the tutorial for attaching the frame, nor did I need the rope they used. Instead, I used their instructions as a reference, and sewed the purses in with embroidery floss that matched the frame color. The stitching was visible on the inside of some, but I liked that you could tell they were handmade. I was giving them as gifts.

We hope you enjoy pressing those pennies, paying for your souvenirs, or just remembering Disney when you reach for your change. Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust.


1 comment:

  1. These are gorgeous! I love them! I was wondering - did you have any of the fabric leftover from that second photo that you may be prepared to sell or swap for some more, similar Disney prints? I've been hunting and hunting for that particular Alice print as I want to use it in a quilt! I have some Dumbo, Peter Pan, and Aristocats by the same artists... let me know if you're interested!

    Again, LOVE these - those little purse toppers with the mickey ears are irresistible! :^)

    ReplyDelete