Saturday, February 23, 2013

DIY Monsters Inc. Roz T-shirt

I'm a big fan of Monsters, Inc. The graphic design for the credits sends me over the moon! Every. Time. When I saw these eyeglasses (design id #7231) in the clearance shapes in the Silhouette shop a few weeks ago, they immediately reminded me of Roz. And I was struck with this t-shirt idea.

As I've mentioned before, I like to reference Disney without actually saying Disney. I suppose it's the Disney geek in me. This was the perfect way for me to do just that. I think if I were to do it again, I might try and add a chain to the glasses to give the illusion they are actually hanging around the neck. And of course, I made sure to wear it on a day we were in the Magic Kingdom, so it could be seen on the Laugh Floor.

This was my first attempt using the Silhouette stencil vinyl and fabric paint. I was VERY pleased with how this turned out. It looks and feels very much like silk-screening, especially after its first wash. And speaking of the wash, this shirt has survived many washings (and dryer-runs) with minimal cracking, and absolutely no peeling. Fabric paint is my new best friend.

A few tips on how to make this yourself: When burnishing the stencil onto the shirt, you have to work at it to get all the little pieces to adhere; keep at it, it's worth it. When applying paint to the a's and o's it's important to dab, not brush, and go slowly. You don't want to dislodge those inside circles. You may want to try on your shirt before you apply the stencil so you get the design in the right place. Use a safety pin to mark where you want the design to start. I was glad I did this, as the design was originally too low for my taste. And that's it! Follow the directions for the fabric paint and you are golden (or puce, as Roz might say). Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment