Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Disney DIY Flip Book: Spinner Page


As I have mentioned before, one of my tactics for enjoying Walt Disney World is curtailing the complaining when it comes to waiting. Our kids seem to be particularly adept at complaining in "the happiest place on earth." Of course, there is a direct link from tired to whiny. Something to thoughtful consider when planning your fun. In my vigilant attempt to keep the whining at bay, I created a flip book for our kids to use in the parks this year. It was a time-consuming project, but the prospect of happy children made it worth the effort. (You could always skip the flip book and just make one of these to have on hand, if you wanted to make it easier on yourself!)

For this page, I created a waiting game spinner. It was incredibly simple using Photoshop, card stock, cardboard, and some spinner arrows I found here, but you could just google "4-inch arrow spinners" and see what you come up with; I like to shop around for the best deal.

I made this the last page of the flip book, so it could adhere to the sturdy cardboard cover. Once I had created my spinner in Photoshop, I sized it to my flip book (5x7) and printed as many copies as I needed (8). May I humbly recommend that you make at least one extra? These tend to have a way of falling out monorail window vents, over balconies, and the like. (Not that those things happened to us.)

Inserting the spinner was a little tricky. I would recommend punching a hole in the paper and then cutting extra slits around the hole to get the large base flat against the back of the paper. This way, your spinner will spin freely. (If you look closely at the photo on the left you can see the slits.) You can always practice this on a scrap piece of paper first.

Ta-da! You now have a boredom buster at your fingertips - just don't forget it in the room! And if you'd like to use my spinner page, you can download it here for free.


Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment