Saturday, March 23, 2013

DIY Finding Nemo Outfit

For our last trip, Happy had completely outgrown all the pants and Ts from the year before. I decided he needed a pair of Nemo pants and a matching shirt for our day in Epcot. One should look his best when he meets Crush for the first time!

As before, and because I love, love, love, this pattern, I made Anna Marie Horner's Quick Change Trousers (size 18 mos. this time). I love how all the seaming gets hidden with the reversible design. And all is not lost if, say, a Mickey Ice Cream Bar gets dropped on them. Just wipe 'em up as best you can, flip 'em in-side-out and carry on: a momma's dream. I found both fabric's at JoAnn's. I think they are both the store brand.

To make the T-shirt, I imported clip art of Dory I found on-line into a Silhouette SD file. The font is Findet Nemo. If you decide to do something similar, remember to reverse the image in the Object > Transform menu (I used "flip horizontally"). I then printed it onto Print 'n Press Iron-on Transfer paper for Inkjet Printers (by june tailor) - don't love the shiny quality of the iron-on, but the transfer was perfect. Next time I would have the Silhouette cut out Dory and I would cut out the text myself before transferring. Live and learn, right? Also, after one washing the image was cracked and wrinkly. If you want the t-shirt to last I highly recommend using Lesley Riley's TAP Transfer Artist Paper. The results of this are far superior to anything else I've tried.

Again, I can't say enough about the Quick Change Trousers. I wash the dickens out of them and they have lasted through two kids! And the more pairs I make, the faster I can whip them up. Definitely a nap time friendly project. Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!



No comments:

Post a Comment