Saturday, July 20, 2013

From Belle's Library | Kingdom Keepers Book I: Disney After Dark

This month's column, From Belle's Library, features a new(ish) Disney series for young readers: Kingdom Keepers. I feel like I am coming a bit late to the party on this one, after all, the series has been out since 2009. (That's what happens when you stop teaching middle school!) But the good news is that there are now 6 books out and a 7th available for pre-order. I like not having to wait for the next book to be released!

You should know, I am a large fan of young adult fiction aimed at boys. It can be a challenge getting some kids to read, and an adventure is always a good call for most boys. That being said, I would highly recommend these books to ANY reader (boy or girl) who has ever been to the Disney parks. They are a blast! And if you happen to have a reluctant reader at home, these books could be just the thing they need to get started. Best of all, it is a series, so if they do get hooked, there are seven books to read. I love when Doc gets going on a series. It makes it so easy to just hand him the next book and keep on going!

Disney After Dark is the first book in Ridley Pearson's series. I was sucked in from the first chapter. This is a high-tech, fantastical romp through the parks with questions to be answered right from the beginning. There is a group of 5 kids who have all been used to create holographic hosts for the Disney parks. They start having some strange experiences and you get the idea that there is a lot more going on here than just a new sort of "magical experience" in the Disney resort. I won't spoil it for you, but there is a lot of fun to be had with these kids - especially when they get to experience the Magic Kingdom after closing!

I highly recommend this first book (I have yet to read any of the others) for grown ups and kids alike. They have a fantasy quality about them (which is hot right now with many young audiences) and a Disney magic that really meshes well. If you give them a try we'd love to hear how you like them. Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment