Thursday, January 29, 2015

DIY Disney's Small World Inspired Cable Cozy

I recently discovered this Cable Cozy tutorial by Live It. Love It. Make It., via Pinterest and I knew it would be a blog post eventually! I love this sort of thing - a place for everything and everything in it's place. It's my dream.

In the past I have used one of my handy little T-shirt drawstring bags for all my cables, and chargers, and such. This is still an excellent choice if it's just me and Mr. Photos From The Parks traveling together; but if the whole family is traveling en masse, that little bag gets very full, very quickly! This cable cozy seems like the perfect thing for the massive quantities of cables and chargers this family needs to survive on the road!

And as fate would have it, I've been holding on to some canvas fabric for a while now that reminded me of the It's A Small World attraction in the Magic Kingdom. The moons are part of the Heather Ross Collection Far Far Away. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the hippo fabric. I picked it up at a local fabric store over a year ago. I had intended to use these for a bucket hat, but the fabric seemed so hot for a hat I frogged that idea. But this cable cozy is perfect for the canvas. The pattern calls for interfacing, but I scrapped that since my fabric was so heavy.


I also used a button/loop closure instead of the buckle, because it looked better with my fabric. If you have never used dungaree buttons, do not be afraid of them: they snap right together and require no sewing! They are very easy to use. Otherwise, I followed the tutorial on line. It was very well written and easy to follow. I finished it in one afternoon. This would be the perfect gift for anyone who travels often and could easily be personalized depending on the fabric you choose.

I'd love to see any of the versions you come up with. Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment