Saturday, September 14, 2013

DIY Nut Allergy Stroller Sign for Walt Disney World

If you have been following this blog at all, you will know that Happy, our 2-year-old, has severe nut allergies. This coming trip will be our first trip having to deal with this new development. I am usually very much in the Free-Range-Parenting camp, but on this particular aspect, I am quickly becoming a helicopter mom. (Hopefully over the next several years I can be less helicopter as he matures. We'll see.)

We are going to have two littles this trip and that means two strollers. We like having our City Mini with us and most likely will be renting another from Kingdom Strollers for the duration of our trip. Because of his allergies, I am making this sign for our strollers (both of them). If you see these in October, you'll know you found us! I like the tongue-and-cheek quality. In fact, I may put this on a shirt for Happy. I'll let you know if that happens!

And I have realized as we deal with this allergy, that many non-allergy families don't understand the anxiety that comes with having a child who deals with this condition. It's incredible to me how many times I see people tossing nuts on the ground (at the pool, or the park) without a second thought. I feel like shouting, "That's poison! You can't leave that there!" In reality, that was me not too long ago. When you have a kid with allergies (& and EpiPen), you are suddenly living in a very different world. Hopefully this sign will help other families remember that their favorite snacks (peanut butter crackers, granola bars, etc.) need to be confined to their own space; especially in those stroller parking areas. After all, knowledge is power.

If you would like a copy of this sign for your own stroller, leave me a message in the comments and I will gladly forward a pdf to you! Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment