Saturday, September 21, 2013

From Belle's Library | DeWitched: The Untold Story of the Evil Queen

This month's selection from Belle's Library left me feeling a little blasé about this book. DeWitched, by E.L. Sarnoff, is a fun story, don't get me wrong, but it has the unfortunate timing to coexist with Once Upon A Time - which has excellent storytelling wrapped up in ongoing mystery. (Seriously, if you haven't watched, you really should.)

I like the premiss of this book. It's all about the Evil Queen going through rehab for her evil addiction. The idea is smart and the potential is enormous. And it even stars a spunky little fairy named Fairyweather, who bears a striking resemblance to Merryweather. But the execution was disappointing.

I read the Kindle book. I don't know if this has something to do with all the editorial mistakes, but as a former English teacher and somewhat of a perfectionist, this REALLY bugged me. Where was the editing? And further, the voice was somewhat sophomoric. I'm not sure exactly what made it feel that way, but the characters needed more finessing. And the play-on-words names, Shrinkerbell, Lady Germaine, Fanta, Flossie, Fairyweather, seemed off-putting. Especially when the more traditional characters' names were used (Hook, Cinderella, Snow White). The plot was best at Faraway, the rehab castle, where we really got to understand the reasons behind the patients evil addictions. Perhaps this was the most creative part of the book; and even there, the writing seemed choppy and abrupt. I also appreciate how the Queen, Jane, struggles with her addiction once she is out of rehab.

For the most part, this was a story I could have conceived and ill-written at that. And while I won't give away the ending, the climax did have a surprise or two. That's always enjoyable. But in the end, I'm not sure this is a book I would recommend. It seems to me it would be best read on the beach. Something you wouldn't mind getting sand in and leaving on the plane or on the porch of the nearest library for the next person to read.

Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment