Thursday, October 24, 2013

From Belle's Library | My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business: A Memoir, by Dick Van Dyke

Who would have guessed that I found a kindred spirit in Dick Van Dyke? We both have a heart for social justice, love Mary Tyler Moore (platonically), found Mary Poppins to be magical, and want to parent our kids to be grounded and loving. Needless to say, I found this autobiography, My Lucky Live In and Out of Show Business, nothing short of wonderful.

I love how positive Mr. Van Dyke is as he looks back on his life. He admits his struggles and failures, relates some truly horrible experiences, and some amazing times. And all the while I sensed that he was looking back at the entire picture with mild surprise at his good fortune and genuine joy.

As usual, I listened to this book. It was wonderful to hear Dick Van Dyke read it; I can't imagine listening to someone else voice what happened to this man, knowing his voice so well. It was especially fun to hear him reminisce about working with Walt Disney and the Sherman Brothers, and the making of not only Mary Poppins, but also Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. Even THIS Disney girl hasn't seen that movie. Don't worry, I'll be remedying that situation soon!

This book was a truly wonderful read. I would recommend it as a Father's Day or Christmas gift for anyone who has a fondness for the Dick Van Dyke Show, or Mary Poppins. We all know shopping for men can be tricky. Of course, I would also recommend this for the females in your life! If you have read this book, I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it as well.

Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment