Saturday, May 24, 2014

From Belle's Library | Mortal Friends by Jane Stanton Hitchcock

This book, Mortal Friends, is decidedly NOT related to Disney in any way, but it IS a great vacation read. First of all, I am a sucker for a good murder mystery. It doesn't even have to be that good. It just needs to be campy enough to feel like an episode of Castle and I'm in. I especially like it if I don't have to pay extra close attention while I'm enjoying myself on the beach, or knitting on the plane, or driving in heavy traffic.

This is just such a book. I knew this was a good bet as I had previously read her novel, Social Crimes, on vacation. Ms Hitchcock has a way of drawing her readers into the upper crust, the social climbing ladies and their small circles of power. Mortal Friends takes place in Washington, D.C. and for me, that's an added bonus. Having lived and worked in the Baltimore area for several years I had a very good idea of who her characters were, and where the story was unfolding. I always enjoy a familiar setting.

I will say I thought I knew who the killer was 5 minutes into the book, and I was mostly right. But the twists and turns of this novel definitely kept it worth reading! Over all I would recommend this book and Social Crimes to anyone who likes a good mystery, enjoys reading about society and needs a good beach read (for me that means light and sugary). Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment