Tuesday, September 23, 2014

From Belle's Library | The Pixar Touch

Growing up Disney has had it's advantages for sure. I had the opportunity to watch the Disney company (& family of companies) grow. To that end however, it feels like I have an idea of how things went down, but no real information. For instance, I remember the coup that put Micheal Eisner on the board at Disney and then the campaign to remove him, but the details are fuzzy at best.

If you have any interest in the story of Pixar, how it cam to be, how Steve Jobs came to own it, and how it eventually came to a happy partnership with Disney, I would highly recommend reading The Pixar Touch, by David A. Price. It's a thorough history of the startup from the very beginnings in a garage through the production and release of Ratatouille.

It was a great way to learn about John Lassiter and his rocky start with Disney, his passion for story telling and his commitment to the best of what computer animation had to offer. It was also interesting to read the perspective on Steve Jobs and how his investment in the company was the only thing that got them through some very lean years. And of course I loved hearing about the creative process that brought about Toy Story, Bugs Life, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars and Ratatouille. Lastly, I really loved reading about the political intrigue with Michael Eisner (for whom I still have a bad taste in my mouth), Roy Disney and the board of the Disney company.

This is definitely a book for the Disney-phile. I enjoyed reading about this wing of Disney history. Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment