Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Disney DIY Belle Inspired T-shirt Upcycle

I've been noticing some adorable princess t-shirts on Pinterest of late and I LOVE the idea of my daughter dressing in character without being in one of those hot synthetic numbers all day. And then I realized that this would be the perfect way for ME to dress as a princess in the parks too! And viola! This lovely upcycled Belle t-shirt was born.

I started with two basic white t-shirts that had lived good long lives, but were in need of recycling, and one blue long-sleeved t-shirt that had some armpit stains. I first used this tutorial on how to remove deodorant stains. I was very impressed by how it worked! No bleaching on the blue and most of the staining was gone! Perfect for a refashion.

I then used this tutorial from Whitney Sews to make a puff sleeve. So much easier than I thought it would be! And Whitney's video is really easy to follow. Finally, used chalk to mark where I wanted the neckline to be and used this tutorial from Vintage Pollyanna to make the neck ruffle. I'm not in love with the way it lays on the shirt, but it's cute and for a shirt that is most likely going to have chocolate from a Mickey Premium Bar on it, it's just fine! If you were concerned that the sleeves would be too much (as Florida can be hot no matter what time of year you travel!), you could always make a cap sleeve instead or just put a ruffle on the edge and make it a tank. I love the simplicity of it and it'll look great with a pair of white shorts for the parks! Now if I can just get a picture with Belle while wearing this....

Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment