Tuesday, August 26, 2014

DIY Mickey Mouse Serving Tray

I think this tray is one of the funniest and delightful things I've done in a long time! I love walking by it on the command center and seeing our ADRs for our next trip. Mickey just makes be smile every time. The ridiculousness is part of the charm! And for under $10 and a little time, it's totally worth it for me to have this fun little Maitre d, er, Mousetre D, at my next Disney themed event!

The last time we were in Walt Disney World, I stumbled upon these plastic, movable Mickey toys at the International Gateway Gift Shop in Epcot. This shop is right at the World Showcase entrance to the park. You may have walked right by it many times and never really noticed it if you haven't had occasion to use it, but it is where the boats dock from the Epcot resorts and Hollywood Studios, tucked in between the UK and France pavilions. It's one of my favorite little shops to check out.

When I saw these plastic Mickey toys for $7 each I decided to pick up two of them. Not only were they good bath toys for the little ones on that trip (which I never seem to remember to bring), it seemed to me they were perfect for some yet unthought of craft. And so they were.

This Mickey already separates at the waist, so all I had to do was pull him apart. I made sure both halves of him were level and would fit seamlessly on the tray. I found this lightweight silver tray at the dollar store in the party goods area. It was exactly the right size for this project. After that, I simply used gorilla glue to adhere both sides of Mickey to the tray. He was hollow inside, so I put a few marbles in his bottom half to weight him down. And since I used gorilla glue, I don't think I would use this for food unless I put a doily around it first or the food was individually wrapped, like candy or cupcakes. I think it's the perfect think for party favors or information though! I used this tutorial as an inspiration for this craft.

Until next time, may all your days be filled with fairy dust!


No comments:

Post a Comment