Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Disney DIY 12 Days of Christmas Ornaments | It's A Small World Cross Stitch Ornament

We all know I love Mary Blair and It's A Small World -- a lot. So I'm sure it's no surprise that I had to figure out a Small World themed Christmas ornament for this series! And if you've been following the blog for a while, you might remember these plastic canvas blocks I made for the kiddos. As it turns out, the same pattern works quite well for a small cross stitched ornament! So here's the skinny on what I did:

I found a kit for a cross stitched ornament in the clearance bin at JoAnn's. It was less than a dollar. It was for a beach chair, but that didn't really matter, as all I wanted was the canvas and frame.

I then used my own It's A Small World boy pattern to stitch the image of the little boy on the canvas. I decided to have him holding a green pine spring instead of the white sheet music from the other image. He wasn't quite big enough to fill the frame alone, so I created a small border around him and voila! It was done! If you want the pattern, simply click on the photo to enlarge it. It should be big enough to copy.

I followed the directions in the kit for how to assemble it, which entailed cutting out the canvas, adhering the backing and then adhering the canvas to the frame. In all I was able to stitch the design during nap time (45 minutes) and put together in about 20 minutes, including drying time. If you already have the floss colors you need, and the super glue to adhere it, then you have a handmade ornament for under a dollar! Not bad for such a unique gift.

I hope you are finding some time to enjoy the holidays, and until next time, may all your holidays be filled with fairy dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment